This Sunday, February 3, we are having a sacrificial offering for some projects that need to be accomplished at Grace Life. As I’ve been thinking about what our family can do to participate in the offering I have had to wrestle with what does it mean to financially sacrifice for an offering?
Let me tell you what we don’t mean by a sacrificial offering.
- We do not mean for you to skip your mortgage payment.
- We do not mean for you to skip your credit card bill.
- We do not mean for you to purchase groceries on your credit card.
- We do not mean for you to avoid making your car payment.
- We do not mean for you to avoid paying any of your bills.
What do we mean then by a sacrificial offering? Most of us participate in events or spend money in ways that we are not required to spend. You must make your mortgage payment, but no one said you must go out to eat three times this month. Right? So, here are a few suggestions of what sacrifice could look like in your family in order for you to give above and beyond your normal giving.
- skip going out to eat this week
- avoid going to the movies this month
- if overtime hours are available, maybe work some extra hours
- wait another month or two before making that extra purchase for your hobby
- if you recently finished paying a bill off, maybe take that payment and place it toward the sacrificial offering
These aren’t the only possibilities, but maybe it will help you as you think toward what it could mean to give toward the sacrificial offering on Sunday.